Over 70 LGBTQIA Filipino organizations released an open letter that seeks clarifications on the political stance towards LGBTQIA issues of politicians and political parties or coalitions engaging in the 2022 National Elections.
“The contributions of the (LGBTQIA community) can no longer be ignored,” the letter stated, adding that with this, “our human rights must be positioned within a broader electoral agenda.”
There are specific questions the LGBTQIA organizations and people want to be clarified, i.e.:
On a SOGIE-inclusive anti-discrimination law
- What is your position on the passage of a national anti-discrimination legislation that protects the rights of LGBTQIA persons from all forms of discrimination and violence, and guarantees inclusion and equality in all spheres?
On the rights of Intersex persons
- What is your position on the rights of intersex persons? What is your position on the banning of non-consensual and medically unnecessary surgery on intersex infants and children?
- What is your position on the exclusion of intersex persons in the definition of sex in the Anti-Discrimination bill (H.B. 7754) that is being deliberated in the House of Representatives?
On the rights of transgender persons
- What is your position on the issue of legal gender recognition?
- What is your position on the protection of rights of trans men/women to be legally recognized as men/women?
- What is your position on the protection of rights of trans people to education, employment, health care and public accommodations?
On the issue of hate crimes and violence against LGBTQIA persons
- What is your position on the murder of transgender persons?
- What is your position on the passage of a law that penalizes crimes that are motivated by a bias against a person’s sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, and sex characteristics?
On the issue of marriage equality
- What is your position on marriage equality or civil union partnership?
- What is your position on the recognition of overseas legal marriages of LGBTIQ+ couples?
On the issue of LGBTQIA workers and LGBTQIA-owned or -managed businesses
- What are your plans to promote the full potential of LGBTQIA individuals in the workplace?
- What should be pursued and put in place to ensure growth and development of LGBTQIA-owned and allied businesses?
On past and current projects and initiatives on, and involvement with, LGBTQIA advocacies
- What are your past and present initiatives/programs that support greater LGBTQIA inclusion in terms of social, cultural, and economic empowerment?
“Meaningful participation in democratic processes requires transparency and truthfulness on significant political questions that have direct implications on our lives. This will empower the electorate, especially those from the LGBTQIA communities, in making informed choices,” the letter stated.
With this, the signatories – representing 71 LGBTQIA organizations from all over the Philippines – stressed that they are “making a stand: we will not support candidates who are known to have homophobic, biphobic and transphobic ties, and those who have a track record of being aligned with conservative religious groups that have long been discriminating against LGBTQIA people and have opposed our legislative and policy advocacies.”