A Texas Department of transportation number is the exclusive number of the state of Texas which is only issued to commercial vehicles in Texas.
Once you have got a TXDOT number, you have to display it on the visible and front location of your vehicle
If you are going to start a business in Texas, you have to get a special number. We will tell you all the important information about how you can get a TXDOT number, and why you need it.
Do I need it?
Before applying for the Texas department of transportation number, you need to know. Either I need it or not. The Texas Department of Transportation differs from the federal transportation system of the United States of America.
I want to operate in Texas. It is necessary for a commercial vehicle that operates in Texas to register for a TXdot number. For this purpose, you have to pay the registration fee.
Your concerned insurance company fills a form E for the amount. If you have already cleared your dues to the Texas department of motor Vehicles, a UIN number will be issued to you. Then, this UIN will be converted to the TX DMV certificate number.
When you need TXDOT
There are some reasons to obtain a TXDOT. If you live in Texas and want to operate commercially then you have to get a Texas number. I will tell you when you have to get a TXDOT number. There are some following things you should keep in mind:
- Weight of the vehicle matters. Any vehicle which you want to operate is registered or gross weight rating exceeding 26,000 pounds.
- If you want to operate a farm transport. Its gross weight or registered weight rating of 48,000 pounds or more.
- Transport with hazardous waste and material in a specific quantity should be covered with notice or placarding. So, authority can judge the proper need.
- Any vehicle which will be used for the transport which has a seating capacity of 15 passengers including the driver.
- If you want to operate a school bus in the area. You have to obtain the TXDOT.
- Household goods transport also includes regardless of the weight capacity of the vehicle.
What do you have to do for obtaining TXDOT
There is a step-by-step process to get TXDOT. But first and foremost, the thing is if you want to get a TX number, then you have to obtain USDOT first. If you have a US DOT, then you get any other number otherwise you are not eligible to obtain a number from the department of transportation.
- Your full name
- Business name, in case of, if you want to register on the name of business name
- Proper postal address
- Social security number
- Date of birth
- Credit card information
- Year of making
- Year of purchase
Apply for USDOT number
If you want to get TXDOT, you have to get US DOT, as prior I talked about this. This is necessary because it is the basic registration of the vehicle. Based on this number, the state department issues you a number.
Apply for TXDOT number
After this, you have to apply for the TXDOT. Before apply should know things:
- TXDOT is available for one year or two years.
- A motor carrier certificate of registration is non-transferable.
- A motor carrier can set up a new authority through the new online registration system.
- If you have used an online forum once, then you can update any of your information and can renew the registration certificate.
Submit insurance paper
After applying, you get a temporary TXDOT, then you have to contact your auto insurance agent for sharing of numbers. Once insurance is verified your status of the void will be removed.
I have shared a short guide and step-by-step process of getting a TXDOT number. Hopefully, It will help in the future when you need a number.